What is Sports Massage?
Sports Massage is the manipulation of soft tissue to benefit someone who engages in regular physical activity. It focuses on areas related to sporting injuries or activities. The word ‘Massage’ comes from the Arabic word ‘Massa’ meaning to touch, knead or squeeze and the techniques involved within a sports massage focus on these movements.
What are the benefits of Sports Massage?
Sports Massage has many benefits including:
- Easing muscle or joint stiffness
- Decreasing muscle or joint pain
- Preparing muscles for exercise (i.e. before an event)
- Aiding recovery after exercise
- Improving joint mobility
- Increasing flexibility in soft tissue structures e.g. muscles
It can be used to complement other therapies such as Physiotherapy, Osteopathy or Chiropractic by reducing both physiological and psychological tension before treatment.
The feeling of well-being through massage can also be beneficial alongside cognitive therapies and palliative care as it will focus on relaxing the whole body, promoting restful sleep and reducing mental stress.
When should you have Sports Massage?
There are several different scenarios in which you may require a sports massage and each one would see slightly different techniques used by your therapist.
- Pre-event – a short and invigorating massage to activate the muscles in preparation for exercise e.g. a race or hitting a PB
- Inter or Intra event – during events or exercising focusing on the main muscles working to minimise the chance of muscles tightening up during short rest periods e.g. a footballer during a match
- Post-event – a more relaxing massage to aid recovery from intense activity by helping to remove lactic acid and other metabolic waste as well as helping to unwind mentally from the demands of intense training or competing
- Maintenance – correcting any soft tissue dysfunction caused by high intensity training or regular exercise
Sports Massage treatments at TFD Therapy…
TFD Therapy offers Sports Massage as one of our branches alongside Physiotherapy and LifeZone Coaching. Our sports massage therapist is Jo who members will know to be a familiar face around TFD. She is fully qualified in Level 3 Sports Massage as well as Personal Training giving her well rounded knowledge of training and the effects it can have on your body.
If you would like to book a sports massage then don’t hesitate to speak to reception, give us a call on 01235 772995 or email email@example.com. Feel free to grab Jo in the gym and she will be more than happy to have a chat with you!