Try this healthier fake away option – still just as tasty but much better for you!
Ingredients (serves 4 – adjust amounts accordingly):
Honey soy chicken:
- 1kg chicken thigh fillets
- 65g plain flour
- 65g cornflour
- 1tbsp salt
- 2tbsp garlic granules
- 125ml water
- Oil for frying
- 80g butter
- 2tbsp clear honey
- 2tbsp soy sauce
- Spring onions and sesame seeds (optional)
Salt and pepper chips:
- Oven chips (whole bag)
- 1 onion
- 1 red pepper
- 1 chilli (red or green)
- 2tsp salt
- 2tsp Chinese 5 spice
- 1tsp of chilli flakes (add more if you prefer more spice)
- ½ tsp sugar
- Preheat oven to required heat for chips, cut chicken thigh fillets into bite size pieces, finely chop onion, pepper, and chilli.
- Place chicken into a large bowl, add the plain flour, corn flour, salt, garlic granules and water and mix so chicken is well covered.
- Put chips onto a baking tray (maybe 2) and put into oven to cook
- Heat oil in a pan (enough to shallow fry) or deep fat fry at 175 degrees if you have a fryer, cook for around 4-6 minutes, and sit to rest on a plate
- Heat butter in a different frying pan, once melted add honey and soy sauce and mix on a medium heat until thick, place chicken in an oven proof dish and cover in glaze, then sit in oven to keep warm
- In a clean large frying pan, add a little oil, once heated add in the onion, pepper and chilli and stir to coat in oil, once onions start to caramelise, add sugar, salt, chilli flakes, and Chinese 5 spice to the vegetables and mix, then fry for a further minute
- After this, remove cooked chips from the oven and add to the mixed vegetables, cook on a low heat constantly mixing to coat the chips well.
- Once done, take out the chicken from the oven and serve up onto a plate with the chips, then add the optional spring onions and sesame seeds on top!
Salt and pepper chips – 496 calories per portion
Honey soy chicken – 384 calories per portion
Total plate = 880 calories
Salt and pepper chips = 910 calories per container
Honey chicken = 656 calories per container
Total = 1566 calories
Give it a try and tag us in your cooking attempts – READY, STEADY…COOK!